Skip to Content
Fearless Family Law & Divorce Representation 908-274-3028

What Can I Do If My Ex-Spouse Isn’t Abiding by Our Divorce Agreement?

A woman sitting in a chair with her hands over her face.

Divorce can be one of life's most difficult transitions. While the legal separation marks an end, it also signifies the beginning of a complex post-divorce life. A critical aspect of this new chapter is abiding by the divorce agreement, which ensures that both parties meet their responsibilities. But what happens when your ex-spouse doesn't comply?

Below, our experienced divorce lawyers at DeTommaso Law Group, LLC will provide you with tips for what to do if your ex-spouse doesn’t comply with your divorce agreement.

Key Components of a Typical Divorce Agreement

A divorce agreement is a legally binding document that outlines the obligations of each party post-divorce. It typically covers:

  • Child Custody and Visitation Rights: Details on who gets custody and the visitation schedule.
  • Child Support: The financial contribution one parent makes for the upbringing of the child.
  • Alimony (Spousal Support): Financial support provided to one spouse by the other post-divorce.

Understanding these components can help you identify which part of the agreement is not being honored and take appropriate action.

Common Issues Divorcees Face

Divorce is a life-altering event, and even when amicable, it can bring many transitions. While every divorce is unique, there are some common issues that many divorcees face. These could be anything from emotional turmoil to financial strain to navigating new living arrangements and parenting plans. Let's delve into some of these challenges.

Missed Child Support Payments

One of the most frequent issues is the non-payment or irregular payment of child support. This can cause significant financial strain and disrupt the child's well-being.

Refusal to Follow Visitation Schedules

Another common problem is when an ex-spouse refuses to adhere to agreed-upon visitation schedules. This can affect the child's emotional stability and strain the co-parenting relationship.

Failure to Provide Spousal Support

Sometimes, an ex-spouse may fail to provide the agreed-upon alimony. This can create financial hardship, making it difficult to move forward with your life.

Steps to Take If Your Ex-Spouse Isn't Abiding

If you're facing a situation where your ex isn't abiding by the divorce agreement, you're not alone. Below, we will walk you through what to do if your former spouse is not complying with your divorce agreement.

Open Communication

The first step is to communicate directly with your ex-spouse. Sometimes, misunderstandings can be resolved through open and honest dialogue.

Seek Mediation

If communication fails, mediation can be a useful tool. A neutral third-party mediator can help both parties reach a mutually agreeable solution without going to court.

Legal Action through Family Court

When mediation doesn't work, you may need to take legal action. Filing a motion for contempt in family court can compel your ex-spouse to abide by the divorce agreement.

If you're facing these challenges, consider reaching out to our family law attorneys at DeTommaso Law Group, LLC for further guidance.

Call (908) 274-3028 or contact us online today to schedule a consultation with our legal team.

Share To: