Skip to Content
Fearless Family Law & Divorce Representation 908-274-3028

Blogs from July, 2021

For many alimony payors, their spousal support arrangements represent a significant financial burden. If you're concerned you may not be able to pay your alimony obligation for the month, you aren't alone. Today, we're going over what happens if you fail to pay for alimony in New Jersey.

Our alimony lawyers will work with you to find the best path forward in your alimony arrangement. Contact us online or via phone at (908) 274-3028 to schedule a consultation with our team.

Will I Be Held in Contempt of Court?

One of the most common consequences of failing to comply with a currently existing court order, such as a child support or alimony obligation, is being held in contempt of court. This can result in a fine or even jail time, as well as a court-enforced order to repay any delinquent alimony.

However, courts often prefer not to fine or imprison individuals who are delinquent on paying for court orders, recognizing that doing so may only make it more difficult for them to supply the necessary alimony payments.

Instead, the court may choose to take other steps, such as suspending the offender's driver's license or placing an immediate lien on their bank accounts or property to repay any delinquent support.

What If I Can't Pay for Alimony?

If you cannot feasibly pay for alimony due to a substantial change in circumstances such as losing your job or the development of a medical condition, you probably want to file an order modification case with the court for your alimony arrangement.

If the court rules in your favor, it will adjust the terms of your alimony order or even terminate it so you are not involved in an arrangement you cannot pay for.

At DeTommaso Law Group, we'll help you pursue the best path forward in your alimony case. Contact us online or give us a call at (908) 274-3028 to schedule a consultation.