Skip to Content
Fearless Family Law & Divorce Representation 908-274-3028

Blogs from July, 2021

women with pursed lips holding wedding band

If you feel unfulfilled in your marriage, you may think filing for divorce is your best option. However, this is not always the case. It's possible that the stress of being unemployed, raising a new baby, or dealing with a health issue has made it harder to be a good partner to your spouse. Let's take a look at the various options that you might want to consider if you want to change the state of your relationship.

Have You Thought About Seeing a Therapist?

A mental health professional may be able to help you pinpoint the reasons why your marriage isn't as successful as you want it to be. They may also suggest a series of actions that you can take to be a better partner or to express your feelings to your spouse better. If your spouse is willing to engage in couples counseling, it may be an ideal tool to help remove any roadblocks sabotaging the relationship.

Do You Trust Your Spouse?

It may be in your best interest to seek a divorce if you don't trust your spouse to be there for you. This is because you will spend the rest of your life wondering why your partner came home late or why your partner wasn't answering your urgent phone calls or text messages. Instead of creating mental health problems for yourself, it may be better to seek someone else to build a stronger future.

You Shouldn't Always Stay Together For the Kids

It isn't uncommon for couples to stay together for the sake of their children. However, it's generally not a good idea to stay in a toxic relationship simply because you share a child with your spouse. As your children get older, they will begin to realize that they are growing up in a toxic home. Therefore, you aren't necessarily doing them a favor by staying together when you may be a better parent on your own.

You Can Generally Get a Divorce Even If Your Spouse Doesn't Want One

It's important to note that your spouse can't stop you from filing divorce paperwork. At some point, the judge in your case will grant your petition for an uncontested divorce if your spouse refuses to participate in the marriage dissolution process.

The attorneys at DeTommaso Law Group, LLC may be able to help you with the process of leaving your marriage regardless of how cooperative your spouse may be. Call us today at (908) 274-3028 to schedule a consultation.