Skip to Content
Fearless Family Law & Divorce Representation 908-274-3028

When Should I Consider Court Order Enforcement?

lawyer and client discussing legal options

When it comes to child custody, child support, and alimony in the state of New Jersey, no one is above the law. Should a parent fail to comply with the court’s orders in any of these matters, they risk violating said orders—which can lead to financial and legal repercussions. But what should you do if you think someone else has violated their court order? Let’s take a look at what options are available for those who believe that a litigant has violated their order.

Consult with an Experienced Enforcement Attorney

Your first step towards ensuring that a litigant complies with the court’s order is to contact an experienced enforcement attorney. An attorney will review your case and determine how best to proceed. They will also be able to explain the applicable laws as they relate to your situation so that you understand your rights and obligations under the court order. Depending on your circumstances, they may advise filing a motion to enforce the litigant’s rights.

Motion To Enforce Litigant's Rights

The Motion To Enforce Litigant's Rights seeks enforcement of certain actions by specific means set out by the judge in their original ruling on the case, such as ordering someone held in jail until they comply with specific provisions or fines imposed upon them until compliance is achieved. It can also be used if there are certain financial obligations set forth in an agreement that has not been met by either party involved in the dispute. This type of action can only be taken after all efforts at negotiation have been exhausted and all other legal remedies have been explored beforehand.

Strategic & Aggressive

If you think your ex-spouse has violated their court-ordered agreement regarding child custody, child support, or alimony payments, then you should seek legal advice from an experienced enforcement attorney right away. They will be able to review your case and determine whether filing a motion to enforce litigant’s rights is appropriate in your situation.

At DeTommaso Law Group, LLC, our attorneys are passionate about helping our clients ensure their court orders are actively followed. Call us today at (908) 274-3028 to schedule an initial consultation and learn more about how we can help you enforce your active custody or support orders.

Share To: